Daily general awareness & current affairs Update of 3 February 2015
2. Krishna Chaudhary appointed DG, ITBPThe Government appointed RPF DG as Director General, Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBPF). He is a 1979 batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre.
3. Bharat Rang Mahotsav: 17th NSD fest opens todayThe 17th edition of Bharat Rang Mahotsav, Asia's largest theatre festival, has started in the national capital on Sunday.
- With 12 participating countries, 82 productions in 23 languages and performances by 125 groups, this year's Mahotsav is all poised to be a colossal affair.
- The inaugural act was the war play 'Ghazab Teri Adaa', the latest creation by the National School of Drama.
- The festival was inaugurated by Minister of State, Ministry of Tourism and Culture and Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma.
- The theme for this year's festival is 'Breaking Borders'.
- 12 countries, including UK, Germany, China, USA, Poland, Switzerland, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, are taking part in this 18-day long festival.
- This year is the first time ever, that the festival will travel out of the national capital to other Indian cities like Agartala, Jabalpur, Aurangabad and Panaji.
4. Japan successfully launched a new Spy SatelliteJapan on 1 February 2015 successfully launched the Information Gathering Satellite. The Satellite was launched from the Tanegashima Space Centre in the Kagoshima Prefecture in the south of Japan. Japan's H-2A rocket carried the spy satellite.
5. India, China launch Visit India Year in China
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Chinese Vice-Premier Wang Yang jointly launched the Visit India Year in China at a function in Beijing.
- The initiative is aimed at enhancing the flow of tourists from China to India and strengthen the people to people bond.
- It is agreed to designate 2015 as Visit India Year in China and 2016 as Visit China Year in India.
- Under this, the two sides will carry out a series of promotional activities to boost two-way tourism inflow and strengthen people to people bonds.
6. 35th National Games day 2
- Minali Sethi of Orrisa won the gold medal in the Women's 58 kg weightlifting clean and jerk category.
- Haryana dominated the proceedings on the opening day and finished on top of the medals table with (07 gold and 01- silver medal), followed by Madhya Pradesh (02- Gold, 01- Silver and 04- bronze medals).
7. Pallikal secures ninth WSA title (Winter Club Women’s Open) in Winnipeg
- After conceding a game in the opening round, top seed showed her true class in the Winnipeg Winter Club Women’s Open by reclaiming the WSA squash title in her season opener here.
- The world No 13 from India, Dipika Pallikal, had won the 9th WSA title. Pallikal dispatched second seed and last year’s runners-up Heba El Torky in yesterday’s finals.