1. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's report China has overtaken Germany to become the world's third-biggest arms exporter, although its 5 per cent of the market remains small compared to the combined 58 per cent of exports from the US and Russia.
2. Social networking giant Facebook acquired the shopping search engine TheFind. With the acquisition, Facebook has moved into the e-commerce. Both Facebook and TheFind cast the acquisition as a way to lift the digital advertising business of Facebook. The deal aims to improve Facebook ads experience. The Find technology would be integrated into Facebook to make the ads more relevant and better for consumers.
3. Continuing his rapid rise in the world of badminton, Kidambi Srikanth dethroned Viktor Axelsen of Denmark to become the first Indian man to win the $120,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold. The top seed defeated defending champion and second seed Axelsen 21-15, 12-21, 21-14 to clinch his third international title in 21 months.
4. Services have won 69th Santosh Trophy football title 2014-15. In the final match Services defeated host Punjab by score of 5-4 at Guru Nanak Stadium in Ludhiana, Punjab.
5. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) won the Australian Grand Prix – first Formula 1 (F1) Grand Prix of the season. The F1 2014 champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes continued his dominance by winning the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park racing arena at Melbourne. He was followed by his German teammate Nico Rosberg. Former F1 champion Sebastian Vettel (Germany) was third on his Ferrari debut.
6. MC Mary Kom has been declared as the brand ambassador of the Northeast by the Union Government to showcase the potential of the region. This announcement was made at the 10th North East Business Summit in New Delhi. MC Mary Kom is a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each of the six world championships. She is from Manipur.
7. With an objective to promote financial inclusion, Nabard started a pilot project for complete digitisation of women self help groups (SHGs) to improve the quality of interface between members and banks for efficient and hassle free delivery of banking services. The programme was launched by Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha at Ramgarh in Jharkhand.
8. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has presented leading industrialist G.P. Hinduja with the inaugural NRI Foundation Award for achievements in the field of business. The co-chairman of the Hinduja Group was honoured for establishing a global presence across 10 different sectors and his philanthropic work in Britain and India.
9. Pakistan successfully tested its first indigenously built all-weather armed drone named Burraq and a laser guided missile named Barq. By successfully testing of Burraq, Pakistan became the 9th country in the World to develop an unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) domestically. It is developed by a venture of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and the National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM).
10. In a historic event, a bronze statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled at the Parliament Square in London. With this statue, Mahatma Gandhi became the first Indian and the only person ever to have been in a public office to be honoured with a statue at the Parliament Square. This historic 9-foot tall Mahatma Gandhi statue was unveiled jointly by British Prime Minister David Cameron and Indian Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and stands adjacent to statues of iconic leaders such as Britain’s war-time Prime Minister Winston Churchill and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.