Daily Current Affairs Update of 25 March 2015
1. Shashi Kapoor, the veteran actor and producer was chosen for the 46th edition of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, which is the most prestigious film award in India. This award is conferred by the Government of India for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema. Shashi Kapoor (77), the son of Prithviraj Kapoor and younger brother of Raj Kapoor and Shammi Kapoor, started acting in films as a child in the late 1940s.
2. A Qatar-based logistics firm, Milaha Maritime and Logistics, a subsidiary of the Qatar- based Milaha Group has launched the first-ever direct container service between Qatar and India to further facilitate the bilateral trade that has witnessed a significant growth in the recent years. The non-stop service will connect Qatar's Doha port with India's largest port Nhava Sheva, also known as Jawaharlal Nehru Port located in Mumbai. The new weekly service will enable direct shipments between Nhava Sheva and Doha, thus increasing reliability and reducing transit time and costs.
3. HDFC Bank managing director Aditya Puri has featured in the list of 30 best CEOs, published by America's financial magazine Barron's. According to the magazine, this year seven other CEOs have been added to its 11th annual list.
4. The SEBI approved guidelines to govern International Financial Services Centres (IFSC). India’s first such International Financial Services Centres will be established in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).The GIFT City is being established near Ahmedabad in Gujarat. The new norms for IFSCs approved by SEBI aims to ease the setting up of stock exchanges and capital market infrastructure in such centres.
5. China and Europe are in collaboration for the launch of a low-cost space mission. The proposed project, called Discovering the Sky at the Longest Wavelengths (DSL), is one of around 15 submitted for a call by the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) that concluded recently, Nature reported. The DSL project would use the satellite array to detect radio signals with wavelengths a few hundred meters in length.
6. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) made it easier for domestic funds to manage offshore pooled assets by dropping the so-called ‘20-25 Rule’. It required a minimum of 20 investors and a cap of 25% on investment by an individual, for funds from low-risk foreign investors.
7. Romania's Simona Halep secured the biggest title of her career as she defeated Jelena Jankovic to win the Indian Wells. Simona Halep claimed her first Indian Wells Open Tennis Women's Singles title. With a marathon 2-6 7-5 6-4 victory over former champion Jelena Jankovic, Halep clinched the title.
8. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) projected India's growth rate to surpass China and improve to 7.8 per cent in next fiscal and further to 8.2 per cent in 2016-17.
9. The 62nd National Film Awards have been announced. Kangana Ranaut wins the Best Actress Award for her performance in "Queen". Priyanka Chopra starrer "Mary Kom" wins the the Best Popular Film providing wholesome entertainment. Bobby Simha wins the Best Supporting Actor for Tamil movie "Jigarthanda". Queen also won Best Hindi Film. Best Feature Film was won by the multi-lingual Court.