24-April-2015 Daily Current Affairs Update for Bank and SSC Exam| General Knowledge1. An Indian-origin software engineer in the US has shared this year's Pulitzer Prize for graphics team of investigative journalism, in growing recognition of the importance of using IT tools in reporting. Palani Kumanan, who is a software architect with Dow Jones that publishes the Wall Street Journal, was a part of the winning project's graphics team. The Journal won the top journalism award for its mammoth investigative project, "Medicare Unmasked".
2. The Indian passport has been ranked 48th in a list of 50 most powerful travel documents in the world, according to a global survey topped by Sweden. Germany-based Go Euro travel comparison website ranked the top 50 countries of the world based on their passport's eligibility for visa-free entry, cost of application as well as number of hours worked to acquire the document. India, which came towards the bottom of the ranking, offered visa-free entry to 52 countries and cost 24 dollars and 87 hours of working time.
3. The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) has accorded final approval to two national parks i.e. Kudermukh National Park in Karnataka and Rajaji National Park in Uttarakhand for being declared as tiger reserves. In accordance to this approval, Rajaji National Park is declared as India's 48th Tiger Reserve. With this notification, Uttarakhand got its second tiger reserve after the Corbett Tiger Reserve.
|24-April-2015 Daily Current Affairs Update for Bank and SSC Exam|
5. Shah Rukh Khan has been conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Award 2015 during a function in Mumbai. SRK was given the award for his performance in Farah Khan's blockbuster Happy New Year.
6. Actor-turned-politician Jaya Prada was conferred with Kalashree Award by the Dada Saheb Phalke Film Foundation for her contribution to the field of arts and entertainment.
7. Bangladesh won the three-match One Day International (ODI) Series against Pakistan in Dhaka by 3-0. This was Bangladesh's first series whitewash against an Asian Test-playing nation.
8. World Bank established Pollution Management and Environmental Health (PHEM) program. The 45 million US Dollar PMEH program will initially run from 2015 to 2020 and focus primarily on air quality management in countries facing rapid urbanization and strong needs for pollution abatement measures, but also tackle water and land pollution. In particular, the program will focus on air quality management in five major urban areas in India, China, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa.
9. The New York Times won two prestigious Pulitzer prizes for coverage of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. The coverage is described by the Pulitzer board as courageous and vivid journalism that engaged the public and held authorities accountable.
10. A proposal to try juveniles in the age group of 16 to 18 years accused of heinous crimes under adult laws was cleared by the government. The Cabinet has approved amendments to the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, whereby juveniles in the age group of 16-18 can be tried under IPC if they are accused of heinous crimes.