Daily Current Affairs Update of 13 April 2015 | General Knowledge1. Gujarat government has launched industrial tourism package to promote its development by showcasing its major industrial installations which have earned global acclaim for state. It is a first of its kind initiative in India, offered by Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Ltd (TCGL) in collaboration with Ahmadabad based Akshar Travels Pvt Ltd. The tour package is called as Industrial Tour of Gujarat will cover some of the major industrial attractions of the state. It includes Tata Nano plant in Sanand, Amul Dairy in Anand, Alang ship breaking yard in Bhavnagar and Pipavav port near Amreli.
2. Sania Mirza created history by becoming the first female tennis player from India to achieve the world number one rank in doubles, following her stupendous title win at the WTA Family Circle Cup with partner Martina Hingis. The top-seeded Indo-Swiss pair blew away the challenge of Casey Dellacqua and Darija Jurak 6-0 6-4 in just 57 minutes in the lop-sided final of the USD 731,000 clay court event.
3. One of the most famous officers of the Indian Army and a recipient of the nation’s second highest gallantry award, Maha Vir Chakra in the 1971 war, Lt Gen Hanut Singh (retd) has passed away in Dehradun. He was 82 years old. He commanded the regiment in the 1971 war with Pakistan in the Western Theatre in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
4. Air Pegasus airline became the newest air service operator in India. Air Pegasus became the newest domestic airline in India as its first flight took off from Bangalore to Hubli on this day. Its maiden flight was inaugurated by Union Aviation Minister Ashok Gajpathi Raju at Bengaluru.
|Daily Current Affairs Update of 13 April 2015 | General Knowledge|
6. The Supreme Court (SC) of India directed all the private hospitals in the country to provide for full and free medical treatment to acid attack victims. The verdict was delivered by a social justice bench of the court comprising Justices Madan B. Lokur and UU. Lalit in the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) Laxmi vs Union of India filed under the Article 32 of the Indian Constitution.
7. Mercedes Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton from Britain won Chinese Grand Prix of Formula One on the Shanghai International Circuit in China. This was his second win of the season and his fourth Chinese Grand Prix win. It was also Lewis Hamilton’s overall 35th Grand Prix win.
8. Ace Indian shooter Jitu Rai won a bronze medal in the 10m air pistol event at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup in Changwon, South Korea.
9. Yuki Bhambri clinched the USD 15,000 ITF Futures tournament title with a straight-set win over Dzmitry Zhyrmont and ensured that he will get entry into the French Open qualifying event. The 22-year-old Yuki, seeded second, overcame his Belarusian third seed rival 6-2, 6-4 in the final and pocketed 27 ranking points which will take him to a rank between 215 and 220.