Daily Current Affairs Update of 2 April 2015 | General Knowledge1. In an important event in Nigerian history, Muhammadu Buhari became the first opposition candidate to win a presidential election in country. Muhammadu Buhari is a former military ruler and his victory over incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan is seen as a hugely significant moment in Nigeria’s turbulent history. Never before has a sitting president been defeated in an election in Nigeria.
2. The World Bank and the Government of India signed a $43 million grant and guarantee agreement towards the Partial Risk Sharing Facility for Energy Efficiency (PRSF) project, that will help enterprises and Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) mobilize commercial finance for investments in energy efficiency initiatives.
3. The Loan Agreements for World Bank (IBRD) assistance of US$ 500 million to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for MSME Growth Innovation and Inclusive Finance Project was signed between Government of India and the World Bank. The Loan Agreement was signed by Kshatrapati Shivaji, CMD, SIDBI and Mr. Onno Ruhl, Country Director (India) of World Bank on behalf of the World Bank.
|Daily Current Affairs Update of 2 April 2015 | General Knowledge|
5. Vice Admiral P. Murugesan, AVSM, VSM assumed charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff. Vice Admiral P. Murugesan was received by Vice Admiral S.K. Jha, Chief Hydrographer and Commodore V.K. Garg, station commander Delhi area and a ceremonial Guard of Honour was accorded to him. Vice Admiral P. Murugesan was commissioned in the Indian Navy on 01 Jan 1979. He is a recipient of the President’s Gold Medal as a Cadet in the Naval Academy.
6. The government of Andhra Pradesh, the National University of Singapore and the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) signed an MoU to work on the 'ease of doing business in Andhra Pradesh'. The MoU was signed on the second and last day of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu's visit to Singapore. The agreement is for cooperation in relation to preparing a Masterplan on the ease of doing business in Andhra Pradesh and related activities. The duration of the MoU is from April 1, 2015 to March 3, 2018.
7. The US space agency NASA has selected 12 Next Space Technologies for Exploration Partnerships (NextSTEP) to develop the exploration capabilities necessary to enable commercial endeavours in human exploration to deep-space destinations such as Mars. Through these public-private partnerships, selected companies will prepare concept studies and technology development projects in the areas of advanced propulsion, habitation and small satellites.
8. The second Bishwaratna Dr. Bhupen Hazarika International Solidarity Award 2015 was conferred on internationally acclaimed filmmaker Adoor Gopala-Krishnan. The biennial award, instituted by the Asam Sahitya Sabha in 2013, carries a memento, a citation, an eri chador, a collection of books and a cheque of Rs. 5 lakh. The first international solidarity award instituted in the memory of the cultural icon had been given to eminent research scholar and dance exponent Lubna Marium of Bangladesh.
9. Azerbaijan will host the chess festival Nakhchivan Open 2015 commemorating the country's national leader Heydar Aliyev. The tournament will take place from 1st May to 10th May in three groups and will be played over nine rounds of Swiss system. The tournament to be held in Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan, will feature chess players from France, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Russia, the Netherlands, India, Iran, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan. The total prize of the tournament amounts to 40,000 U.S. dollars.
10. Max Life Insurance has tied up with Lakshmi Vilas Bank for distribution of life insurance products through the bank's 400 branches across the country. It is a 5-year strategic alliance for bancassurance.