Daily Current Affairs Update of 23 April 2015 | General Knowledge1. Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) signed a MoU with M/s Motivation Charitable Trust U.K. in the presence of Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawar Chand Gehlot and Krishan Pal Gurjar, Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment. The MoU provides opportunity to ALIMCO and M/s Motivation Charitable Trust U.K. to work together for producing affordable State- Of- Art wheel chairs having compliance to WHO guidelines.
2. Maharashtra Government announced the target of 14400 MW power generation by 2019. The state government will produce 14400 MW electricity by 2019 by way of non-conventional methods to cut down cost and reduce carbon footprint. The non conventional source of energy is cheaper and far better as compared to conventional sources.
3. Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced a new tournament to be known as the Africa T20 Cup. The tournament was planned to promote the game and nurture young talent in the continent. The tournament featuring Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, host South Africa and 12 CSA affiliates will run from 4 September to 4 October 2015.
4. Eminent historian Professor Christopher Alan Bayly died in Chicago due to heart attack. He was 70. He was a historian who specialised in British Imperial, Indian and global history and his works covered the 18th and 19th century India and British imperial history.
|Daily Current Affairs Update of 23 April 2015 | General Knowledge|
6. Japan has again demonstrated its prowess in high-speed rail travel with its state-of-the-art maglev train setting a world record of just over 600km/h (373mph) in a test run along a test track near Mount Fuji.
7. The government has retained the rate of interest for General Provident Fund (GPF) and other related schemes at 8.7 per cent for the current fiscal. The 8.7 per cent interest will apply on Provident Funds of central government employees, railways and defence forces.
8. Pakistan conferred its top civilian award 'Nishan-e-Pakistan' on Chinese President Xi Jinping for his outstanding contribution in promotion of relationship between the two countries.
9. The Income Tax Department was awarded 'Prime Minister's award for excellence in Public Administration' for 'Easy Tax Compliance through Quality Service'. The award was presented to the department by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. According to the Finance Ministry, the award is a recognition of the sustained efforts of officers of the Income Tax Department. Four e-service projects of the department have already been conferred national e-governance awards.
10. With an aim of monitoring implementation of various ongoing projects including Rail Budget proposals, railways launched E-Samiksha, an online monitoring mechanism. Now each and every project implementation can be monitored on real-time basis. Designed by NIC, the software is currently being used by Cabinet Secretariat, PMO and other Ministries for monitoring progress implementation of various programmes and follow-up of meetings. Apart from budget-related projects, the E-Samiksha can also be used for monitoring the infrastructure target and board meeting follow-up.