Daily Current Affairs Update of 9 April 2015 | General Knowledge
1. Sumit Mazumder, Chairman and Managing Director of TIL Ltd., succeeded Ajay Shriram as President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2015-16.
2. The Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency Ltd. (MUDRA) - a Bank under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, at a function at Vigyan Bhavan in the national capital. It will benefit small entrepreneurs and will also act as a regulator for Micro-Finance Institutions (MFIs). Earlier in his Budget Speech for Financial Year (FY) 2015-16, the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had proposed the creation of a Micro Units Development Refinance Agency (MUDRA) Bank, with a corpus of Rs.20,000 crore, and credit guarantee corpus of Rs.3,000 crore.
3. Senior IAS officer Nilam Sawhney has been appointed as Secretary, Central Vigilance Commission, replacing Alok Kumar who has been made Additional Secretary in Niti Aayog. Sawhney, a 1984 batch IAS officer, is presently serving in her cadre -- Andhra Pradesh.
4. The US State Department has approved sale of USD 952 million worth of attack helicopters, missiles and other defence equipment to Pakistan to help Islamabad with its counter-terrorism operations in South Asia.
5. Gujarat cricket team won the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy, 2015 played at the KIIT Cricket Stadium, Bhubaneshwar. In the final clash, Gujarat defeated Punjab by two wickets.
6. The Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) suspended its President Rajesh Tomar. He was charged with gross mismanagement of the 15th National Para-Athletics championship for differently-abled sports persons. The 15th National Para-Athletics championship was held from 22 March to 24 March 2015 in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
7. Dr. Mylswamy Annadurai has assumed the office of Director, ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He replaced Dr. S.K. Shivakumar, who had retired from the post.
8. Syrian-Lebanese Arab poet Adonis has been chosen for 2015 Kumaran Asan World Prize for poetry, instituted by the Kumaran Asan Memorial Association to honour poets of international stature and introduce them to Indian readers. Adonis was born as Ali Ahmad Said Esber in Western Syria in 1930. Since 1985, he had settled in Paris, France.
9. Major Indian Steel Companies such as Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Tata Steel, JSW Steel of Jindal Group etc. signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with Union Ministry of Steel for setting up of Steel Research and Technology Mission of India (SRTMI) in New Delhi. MoA has been signed for the institute with an initial fund of 200 crore rupees. The primary objective of SRTMI is to promote collaborative Research and Development (R&D) programmes between the ministry and steel industries in priority areas of national importance in the steel sector.
10. Dena Bank signed agreement with LIC to provide insurance cover to its savings account holders (having Aadhaar-linked savings account) under the Prime Minister's Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJBY) scheme. Under the Memorandum of Understanding, LIC will give a life cover of Rs. 2 lakh in case of death of the insured person at a nominal premium of Rs. 330 per annum. Account holders in the age group of 18 to 50 years can avail the product.