05-May-2015 Daily Current Affairs Update for Bank and SSC Exam1. Mazen Darwish , Syrian journalist and rights activist was honoured with UNESCO-Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2015. He was honoured with this award by the UN’s Cultural body for recognition of his work carried out in Syria for more than 10 years at great personal sacrifice, harassment, enduring a travel ban, as well as repeated detention and torture.
2. The 14th edition of the Indo-French naval exercise VARUNA 2015 concluded on 2 May 2015. The exercise started on twenty three April 2015 off the Goa Coast. Its aim was deriving mutual benefit from the experiences of the two navies.
3. Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) won the 5th Hockey India Senior Ladies National Championship 2015. In the final match played at the Master Chandgi Ram sports stadium at Saifai, Uttar Pradesh, Railways defeated Hockey Jharkhand by 12-a pair of. The third position was bagged by Hockey Punjab who beat Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy by 2-0.
4. Ace tennis player Rafael Nadal received the ‘Golden Medal for Merit in Work’. Golden Medal is one of the top civilian honours of Spain which aims to highlight an exemplary performance in any job or profession. Nadal received the honour from the Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy Brey.
|05-May-2015 Daily Current Affairs Update for Bank and SSC Exam | General Knowledge|
6. According to India's think-tank CUTS international, Seed Association of Bangladesh and India have inked a pact to facilitate traders of both nations to increase business in high-yielding varieties of rice seeds. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Bangladesh Seeds Association (BSA) and the National Seed Association of India (NSAI) of India.
7. A Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) has been signed between State Govt. of Jharkhand and National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd., a public undertaking of the Ministry of Power, Govt. of India in Ranchi for taking up Patratu Thermal Power Station (PTPS) through a Joint Venture Company to be promoted by NTPC and Jharkhand Bidyut Vitaran Nigam Ltd. (JBVNL) with 74:26 equity participation. This MoA will be a great step towards performance improvement of existing station from 15% PLF to 82% to give more power to Jharkhand immediately.
8. N.R. Mohanty, Director (Projects & Technical) at National Aluminium Company (NALCO) has been given additional charge as Chairman-cum-Managing Director of the navaratna PSU. The additional charge was given to Mohanty following the superannuation of Ansuman Das.
9. R&B and soul singer Ben E King, best known for the classic song 'Stand By Me', has died at the age of 76. King started his career in the late 1950s with The Drifters, singing hits including There Goes My Baby and Save The Last Dance For Me. After going solo, he hit the US top five with Stand By Me in 1961.
10.Sunny Leone is the most desirable woman in the year 2014
Content Source :- bankersguru