1. China has for the first time overtaken the United States as Australia's largest source of foreign investment, according to official data, laying out Aus $27.7 billion (US$21.8 billion) in 2013-14 as real estate purchases more than doubled.
2. All India Football Federation (AIFF) President Praful Patel was elected unopposed as Asian Football Confederation (AFC) vice-president, South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Region.
3. Industry lobby Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has planned to provide e-commerce platform to small businessmen. For this purpose it has signed an agreement with England-based e-commerce company CloudBuy. This has been designed for all MSME members of CII, to help them find markets. Companies can list their products and services for free on the special gateway and carry out trade. The transactions will be secure and the costs will be low.
|Daily Current Affair of 02 may 2015 for SSC Bank Exam|
4. Olympian Russell Ford announced his retirement from international hockey after 158 appearances for Australia in a decade-long career. The Olympic bronze medalist, 31, scored 72 times for Australia, including against the Netherlands in Australia's 2-1 victory in the Champions Trophy final on home turf in 2012.
5. Srinagar-born novelist Siddhartha Gigoo has won the 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Asia region for "Umbrella Man". He will be awarded 2500 pounds as prize amount.
6. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh announced free Wi-Fi facility for Jogindernagar town, along with installation of CCTV cameras at public places. It would be the first town in the state to possess these facilities. This would not only help in keeping close tabs on anti-social elements but also ensure cleanliness in the town.
7. UNESCO has appointed renowned journalist and CNN Chief International Correspondent Christiane Amanpour its Goodwill Ambassador for Freedom of Expression and Journalist Safety. UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova named Amanpour as Goodwill Ambassador, for her efforts to promote free, independent and pluralistic media.
8. The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has become the world's largest sports body in terms of membership. ITTF formally decided to give membership to Sao Tome and Principe and South Sudan. With the formal acceptance of these two countries the number of national associations affiliated with ITTF grew to 222. As per available records, this is the highest membership commanded by an international sports association. FIVB, with 220 members, is the second largest sports body.
9. Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim al Khalifa of Bahrain was re-elected unopposed as the president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). Salman, 49, will serve a four-year term and keeps his seat on the executive committee of FIFA, as the AFC president.
10. France's popular sprinter Marie-Jose Perec was named the International Event Ambassador for the TCS World 10K run to be held in Bengaluru on May 18. Perec won three Olympic gold medals in her career. She was the first women athlete to win consecutively Olympic gold medals in 400 metres.