1. Competition Commission of India (CCI) slapped Rs. 671 crore penalty on four state-run insurance companies -- National Insurance, New India Assurance, Oriental Insurance and United India Insurance -- for cartelisation and indulging in anti-competitive practices. It is being considered as the biggest fine in the insurance sector of the country. Competition Commission has imposed a penalty of Rs. 251.07 crore on New India Assurance, Rs. 162.8 crore on National Insurance, Rs. 156.62 crore on United India Insurance and Rs. 100.56 crore on Oriental Insurance, respectively.
2. Canada has been named as the most reputable nation in the world, in a recent survey on how countries are perceived across the world. The north American country reclaimed the top spot in the Reputation Institute's annual report, which looks at the government, environment and economy of 55 nations. The top five countries in the survey are Canada, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Australia.
3. The World Bank Group (WBG) and China signed an agreement to set up a trust fund to help reduce poverty. The fund aims to enhance the WBG-China cooperation and leverage financial and knowledge-based resources to help developing countries achieve inclusive and sustainable development. The fund worth $50 million is expected to start later this year.
4. India signed a pact with the World Bank for $250 million financial assistance for Andhra Pradesh Disaster Recovery Project which will help the state enhance its capacity to respond promptly and effectively in times of crisis. The project, through its different components, will provide both direct and indirect benefits to Andhra Pradesh. The beneficiaries include populations of the affected coastal areas, specifically four heavily impacted districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam and East Godavari.
5. The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Canada in the field of Civil Aviation. MoU will help in deepening the bilateral cooperation and enhancing the experience and technical knowledge in the field of Civil Aviation between India and Canada.
|Current Affair Updates 20 July 2015 Download | Daily GK Updates|
6. A PSU of Ministry of Railways, namely, RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. bagged the 12th National Awards for Excellence in Cost management 2014. Col Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd.), AVSM, Union Minister of State for Information & Broadcasting presented the award to RailTel in a function. This award is organized by The Institute of Cost Accounts of India. RailTel has won the award in the category of Public- Service Sector (Medium).
7. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, gave its approval for forming an expert group under the Chairmanship of Arvind Panagariya, Vice-Chairperson, NITI AAYOG, to classify the Caste names returned in the Socio-Economic and Caste Census, 2011 (SECC). The expert group will be serviced by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Tribal Welfare.
8. Indian-origin John Paul Joy Alukkas has made it to the list of Asia's top 10 wealthiest millennials, with a personal fortune of USD 820 million. The 29-year-old Alukkas, Executive Director Joyalukkas group has been ranked 8th wealthiest on the Wealth-X list of millennials -- defined as those born from 1981 to 1997, as per the global wealth intelligence and prospecting company. The list was topped by the 34-year-old Yang Huiyan (USD 6.1 billion) - Vice Chairman of Country Garden Holdings.
9. Union Women and Child Welfare Minister Maneka Gandhi along with Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh inaugurated country's first 'One stop Centre' for women who have been victims of various kinds of violence in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. The victims of rape, dowry harassment, domestic violence, human trafficking, child marriage, infanticide and sati etc. will get medical aid, protection and also help in filing FIRs, legal advice and psychological counselling.
10. The Haryana government appointed Bollywood actress Parineeti Chopra as its brand ambassador for the 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao' campaign to promote the cause of the girl child. She has bagged many awards including national and filmfare awards. Parineeti was chosen for the campaign as she hailed from the state's Ambala town. The campaign was launched from Haryana as the state has the worst sex ratio at 879 females per 1,000 males. The child sex ratio in Haryana is worst among all states in the country.