1. President Pranab Mukherjee's wife Suvra Mukherjee passed away. The President's wife, Suvra Mukherjee, had been ill for some time. Country's First Lady founded the 'Geetanjali Troupe', whose mission is to propagate Rabindranath Tagore's philosophy as expressed through his songs and dance-dramas.
2. To boost economic ties, the UAE agreed to increase investments in India to $75 billion (about Rs. 5 lakh crore) including through a dedicated infrastructure fund, while the two nations will raise their bilateral trade to nearly $100 billion in five years. UAE's investment would support investment in India's plans for rapid expansion of next generation infrastructure, especially in railways, ports, roads, airports and industrial corridors and parks.
3. Goalkeeper of India's national football team Aditi Chauhan has signed a deal with English Premier League (EPL) club West Ham United Ladies team, becoming the first woman player from the country to play for a first eleven of a top club in England. Aditi was a late addition to their squad during pre-season. West Ham Ladies are currently in the Football Association's (FA) Women's Premier League Southern Division, a league in the third level in the women's football structure in England.
4. India's Abhishek Verma won the gold medal in the compound men's individual section in the Archery World Cup Stage 3 competition at Wroclaw, Poland. The Asian Games silver medalist defeated Esmaeil Ebadi of Iran 148 -145. At the Incehon 2014 Asian Games, Ebadi defeated Verma 141-145. Apart from this, India's recurve mixed pair of Deepika Kumari and Mangal Singh Champia won silver at the World Cup stage 3. The duo faced defeat by Mexican pair of Aida Roman and Juan Rene Serrano.
|19 August 2015 Current Affair Download | Daily GK Updates|
5. Small Farmers’ Agri Business Consortium (SFAC) has been mandated as the lead promoter of National Agriculture Market (NAM), the national e-market for agriculture commodities, as announced by the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC). Small Farmers’ Agri Business Consortium (SFAC) is a registered society of DAC. It has been mandated as the lead promoter of India’s e-market for agriculture commodities under the umbrella of the National Agriculture Market.
6. IndiGo, India’s biggest airline by market share signed a huge $26.55 billion order for purchasing 250 aircrafts from Europe’s Airbus company, which is the largest ever order (by volume) for Airbus. It had earlier placed a provisional order for supply of 250 narrow-body A320neo aircrafts from Airbus during October 2014. The company confirmed that provisional order with Airbus. This order worth $26.55 billion is the largest supply order for Airbus by volume, i.e., the number of aircrafts to be supplied. It is also the second-largest order by value for Airbus.
7. Indian golfer Anirban Lahiri created history by becoming the first from the country to finish inside the top-five of a major golf tournament. 28-year old Anirban Lahiri scaled a new high for Indian golf by becoming the first from the country to finish inside the top-five of a Major as he ended the prestigious PGA Championships at Wisconsin (USA) at fifth place. The tournament was won by Jason Day, who finally won a Major, after nine top-10 finishes. Branden Grace and Justin Rose were third and fourth, while Lahiri tied with Brooks Koepka for fifth place.
8. Tamil Nadu led in employment generation in manufacturing sector in the country in 2012-13, according to an analysis done by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM). Tamil Nadu was the leading State in employment generation in the country, generating as much as 15.2% of country’s manufacturing sector jobs during 2012-13. During this period Tamil Nadu and West Bengal recorded a positive growth, while others saw a significant decline.
9. Union Government appointed former Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth as the Chairman of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB). He was appointed for a period of three years or till he attains 65 years of age. Seth succeeded Atul Chaturvedi, who has completed his tenure. Seth is a 1974-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre.
10. The Union Minister of Civil Aviation Ashok Gajapathi Raju and Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Culture (Independent Charge) and Tourism (Independent Charge), Dr. Mahesh Sharma jointly inaugurated direct flight of Air India’s budget arm, Air India Express, between Varanasi and Sharjah (UAE). The Varanasi-Sharjah flight, IX 183, took off from Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Varanasi with 170 passengers.