1. Bandhan Bank began operations as a full-fledged lender across the country. It has started operations with 1.43 crore accounts, a loan book of around Rs.10,500 crore and 19,500 employees. To begin with, it has got 501 branches, 2022 service centres and 50 ATMs across 24 states. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley inaugurated its operations at the Science City Auditorium in Kolkata. Bandhan, which started as an NGO in 2001 and later turned into a microfinance institute, is the first MFI to become a universal bank. Chandra Shekhar Ghosh is the founder-MD and CEO of Bandhan Bank.
2. Swiss player Roger Federer defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to win his seventh Cincinnati Masters Tennis title. The 34-year-old Federer knocked out Britain's Andy Murray in the semi-final and recorded a 7-6, 6-3 win after defeating Djokovic in the finals.
3. Veteran actor-director Amol Palekar has been appointed as chairman of India's Oscar jury, which will select the country's official entry in the best foreign film category of the 88th Academy Awards. The "Gol Maal" star, 70, whose film "Paheli" was India's official entry for the Academy Awards in 2005, will be heading the 17-member jury.
4. Usain Bolt of Jamaica produced one of his greatest races ever to retain the world 100m title at IAAF World Championships at Beijing’s Nest Stadium. He thus defeated the clear favourite Justin Gatlin (US) by one hundredth of a second. Bolt completed the race in 9.79 seconds as he came past a faltering Gatlin at the death to snatch victory by one hundredth of a second. Gatlin finished the race in 9.80 seconds. Canada’s Andre de Grasse and America's Trayvon Bromell were both awarded bronzes in 9.92 seconds.
5. U Mumba won the STAR Sports Pro-Kabaddi League (PKL) title for 2015. U Mumba team (Mumbai) won the STAR Sports ProKabaddi League’s second season as they defeated Bengaluru Bulls (Bengaluru) team in the finals by 36-30. The final was played at Mumbai’s National Sports Club of India. This is the first ProKabaddi League title for U Mumba. Telugu Titans beat Patna Pirates 34-26 to finish third. The first season of PKL was won by Jaipur Pink Panthers (Jaipur) last year.
6. India’s young and talented Aditi Ashok of Bengaluru became the first Indian to win British Ladies Amateur Golf Championship at the Moortown Golf Club at Leeds, United Kingdom. Aditi shot a total of 11-under 285 at the par 74 club. 17-year-old Aditi is not only the first Indian to take the title, but also the youngest-ever winner of the tournament.
7. England cricket team won 2015 Ashes Test series, 3-2 against Australia at England. In the fifth and final match of the series, Australia defeated England by an innings and 46 runs at Ovals. England had already clinched the series with victories in three of the first four games.
8. Madhya Pradesh's state energy minister Rajendra Shukla announced that the state will house world's largest 750 Mega Watts(MW) solar power station in Rewa district. The plant will start generating solar energy by March 2017. The project - Rewa Ultra Mega Solar - is a joint venture of Solar Energy Corporation of India and MP Urja Vikas Nigam, where in both parties have 50 per cent stake.
|25 August 2015 Current Affair Updates | Daily GK Download|
9. Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara retired from international cricket after playing his last Test match. He played his final match against India in Colombo. Kumar Sangakkara has been dismissed for 18 when Ashwin edged a catch to Murali Vijay. Sangakkara amassed 63 centuries in both One day and Test cricket and scored more than 10,000 runs in both the formats in his 15-year-long career.
10. Cochin International Airport (Kochi) became the first in the world to operate completely on solar power. The 12 MWp solar power-plant at Cochin International Airport, Kochi, Kerala was inaugurated by Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy. This solar power plant comprises of 46,150 solar panels and is laid across 45 acres near the cargo complex of the airport. This makes it the first airport in the world to operate completely on solar power. The plant was installed by the Kolkata-based Vikram Solar Pvt. Ltd.