1. Ending more than four decades of wait India and Bangladesh implemented their landmark Land Boundary Agreement (LBA) on 01 August 2015. India and Bangladesh started the exchange of 162 adversely-held enclaves. While India handed over 51 enclaves, comprising 7,110 acres to Bangladesh, the neighbouring country given India 111 enclaves comprising around 17,160 acres.
2. Union Government has decided to celebrate first National Handloom Day on 7th August. This day will be celebrated every year as National Handloom Day. It was announced by Union Textiles Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar in both the Houses of Parliament. Observance of this day aims at development of handloom weavers in the country. It also seeks to promote genuine, global quality handloom in international market.
3. Fourteen years old Master Prabhroop Sekhon won two gold medals in 300 metre and 500 metre Roller Skating at the Special Olympics World Summer Games. The event is being held at Los Angeles, USA. Sekhon is a student of ASHA School in Lucknow Cantt where he was coached and selected for various camps at State and National level as one amongst the 241 participants representing India.
4. China's capital Beijing was chosen by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the 2022 Winter Olympics in a secret ballot held at a convention centre in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). It thus became the first city to be awarded both Summer and Winter Games in more than 120 years of Olympic history. Beijing had hosted the Summer Olympics in 2008.
5. Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) launched “Kotak Bharat”, mobile banking app primarily for “un-banked” regions. “Kotak Bharat” is the ‘inclusive digital banking’ app launched by KMB that is primarily targeted to benefit customers in the under-banked and un-banked regions, who can access its services in their preferred language. One major benefit of this app is that it requires no internet connectivity. The app is Android-based. It works on the existing SMS banking.
6. India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin was presented the Arjuna Award which was conferred on him last year, by the Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal. Ashwin was not present during the Award Ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan on August 29, 2014 as he was a part of the India ODI team, which was touring England at that time.
7. Sir Peter O’Sullevan, an iconic British Horse Racing commentator passed away at the age of 97. Sir Peter O’Sullevan was a former racing commentator associated with the BBC. He was known simply as “The Voice of Racing” throughout five decades at the microphone.
|3nd August 2015 Current Affair Updates | Daily GK Download|
8. An automobile group Volkswagen replaced Japanese auto giant Toyota to emerge as the world’s largest-selling vehicle maker in the first half of 2015. It was for the first time in the history of automobiles when Germany's automobile group Volkswagen overtook Toyota in global vehicle sales. It sold 5.04 million cars between January and June 2015, which is slightly more than the 5.02 million sold by Toyota during the same period.
9. BNP Paribas, a multi-national bank announced to acquire Indian retail brokerage firm Sharekhan Limited. BNP Paribas is the leading French bank with worldwide presence. Currently, BNP Paribas has a presence in India through Geojit BNP Paribas in which it holds a stake of about 33%. Sharekhan was set up in 2000 by Mumbai-based entrepreneur Shripal Morakhia.