1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept its interest rates unchanged in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review. The Reserve Bank of India retained the growth target for 2015-16 at 7.6 percent. The Repo Rate is retained at 7.25 percent, the Reverse Repo Rate at 6.25 percent, Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) and Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) at 4 percent and 21.5 percent, respectively.
2. Ace Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar clinched the women's vault bronze medal at the 6th Senior ART Gymnastics Asian Championships at Hiroshima, Japan. Dipa, who won a bronze in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, stood third at the podium with 14.725 points. Chinese Yan Wang defended her title with 14.988 points and won gold medal. Japanese Sae Miyakawa with 14.812 points won silver medal.
|5th August 2015 Current Affair Updates | Daily GK Download|
3. Snapdeal, an online marketplace, and HDFC Bank launched a co-branded credit card, 'Snapdeal HDFC Bank credit card' in partnership with Visa. This partnership aims at encouraging more customers from tier-2 and tier-3 markets to adapt to digital payments. Snapdeal will also give reward points to customers for making digital payments through the co-branded card.
4. Hindi litterateur Kashinath Singh has been chosen for the Uttar Pradesh's highest literary award Bharat Bharti for the year 2014. The award is given by UP Hindi Sansthan every year. It carries a cash prize of 5 lakh rupees. Singh has penned many novels and short stories. One of his most famous novel is Kashi ka Assi, which captures the vibrant hues of Banaras.
5. The 193 member states of the United Nations reached agreement on a new Sustainable Development Agenda for the next 15 years (2015-2030). It calls for eradicating poverty and hunger, achieving gender equality, improving living standards and taking urgent action to combat climate change. The draft agreement outlines 17 goals with 169 specific targets. With this agreement, the document called "Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development" will be adopted at a UN summit just before the annual meeting of world leaders at the General Assembly in September 2015.
6. Veteran author Rangnath Ramdayal Tiwari was awarded 'Hindi Ratna Samman'. He was conferred with the honour at a ceremony held in Hindi Bhawan auditorium in Delhi. Rangnath Ramdayal Tiwari is the 18th recipient of Hindi Ratna Samman. It carries a citation and a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
7. NASA sets up a new traffic monitoring process to avoid spacecraft collisions on Mars. The system involves process of traffic monitoring, communication and maneuver planning. The step was taken after addition of two new spacecraft, namely NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) and India's Mars Orbiter Mission (Mangalyaan), to orbit the Mars has gone up to five.
8. Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal defeated Italian Fabio Fognini 7-5 7-5 to win the Hamburg Open and clinch his third title of the year. It is the 67th singles title of the 29-year-old's career and his third in Hamburg, where he last won in 2008. Nadal, who had played 14 Grand Slams, has now won his 47th title on clay.
9. A path-breaking peace treaty was signed between the Union Govt. and the Naga rebels led by the National Socialist Council of Nagalim-IM (NSCN-IM) on 03 August 2015. This treaty thus brings to end the ongoing peace talks between the Naga rebels and the Union Government. These talks had started in 1997. The treaty is expected to bring under control the decades-old insurgency problem in the North-East India including Nagaland.
10. Former Madhya Pradesh minister and senior BJP leader Jagannath Singh passed away. He was 69. Singh had served as state labour minister during 2008-2013 in the BJP government.