1. The commodities regulator Forward Markets Commission (FMC) formally merged with the securities market regulator SEBI in Mumbai. According to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, the ultimate objective of merging Forward Markets Commission (FMC) with SEBI is to face the challenges posed by borderless market. Forward Markets Commission (FMC) was established in 1953. The announcement for the merger was made by the Finance Minister in his Budget speech earlier this year.
2. Beijing Olympics champion Abhinav Bindra clinched gold in the men's 10m Air Rifle event of the Asian AirGun Championships. He shot 208.3 to bag the top prize ahead of Kazakhstan's world number eight Yurkov Yuriy (206.6) and Korea's Yu Jaechul (185.3).
3. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched India’s first dedicated satellite for astronomy research, named ASTROSAT by Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C30) from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. The satellite is of about 1513 kg. ASTROSAT will help in understanding the universe. It is India’s first dedicated multi wavelength space observatory. PSLV-C30 is carrying Indian ASTROSAT, along with six other co-passengers, one satellite each from Indonesia and Canada, and four nanosatellites from the US. With the successful launch of Astrosat, India gained an entry into the select club of nations having its own space observatory after the US, Japan, Russia and Europe.
4. Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been appointed as brand ambassador of Jharkhand Tourism. Chief Minister Raghubar Das announced this during 'Unexplored Jharkhand 2015' programme organised on the occasion of World Tourism Day on 27th September.
|29 September 2015 Current Affair Updates |Daily GK Download|
5. Indian film talent Swara Bhaskar has won the Best Actress award at a film festival in the capital city of Fujian province (China) for playing a mother to a teenager in Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari’s directorial “Nil Battey Sannata” (The New Classmate). She won the honour at the China's second Silk Road International Film Festival.
6. The Governor of Manipur Dr. Syed Ahmad passed away. He was 75 years old. He was the 16th Governor of Manipur. He was sworn in as state’s Governor on 16 May 2015. Prior to this he was the Governor of Jharkhand for more than 3 years. He was a senior leader of the Congress from Maharashtra.
7. Pankaj Advani won the IBSF World Billiards Championship in Adelaide (Australia) to take his world title count to 14. Advani defeated Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist in the final by 1168 points at Adelaide.
8. The Group of Four (G4) Summit took place in New York after almost a decade which involves Japan, Germany, India and Brazil as its members, formed with the main objective of supporting each other’s bid for permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC). G4 Summit was attended by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The leaders emphasized that the G4 countries are legitimate candidates for permanent membership in Security Council.
9. The world number one team of India's Sania Mirza and Switzerland's Martina Hingis defeated China's pair of Xu Shilin and You Xiaodi 6-3, 6-1 in the final to win the Guangzhou Open Tennis title.
10. David Haggerty, former President and Chief Executive of the US Tennis Association, was elected president of the International Tennis Federation (ITF). He defeated All India Tennis Association (AITA) President Anil Khanna in the voting. Haggerty, 58, was elected to a four-year term.
11. Lewis Hamilton of Britain and Mercedes racing driver won the 2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix title held at Suzuka Circuit, Japan. Mercedes team driver Nico Rosberg of Germany stood second and Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) finished third.