1. The Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar renamed the country’s prestigious DRDO Missile Complex in Hyderabad as “Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Missile Complex”. The landmark event took place at Research Centre Imarat (RCI) on the occasion of the 84th Birth Anniversary of Dr. Kalam, the “Missile Man” on 15th October.
2. Google has topped the list of world's best company to work for, grabbing the numero uno position for the third straight year, while software developer SAS Institute and manufacturing firm WL Gore were ranked second and third respectively. The annual 'World's Best Multinational Workplaces List' ranks the top 25 global companies to work for.
|16 October 2015 Current Affair Updates |Daily GK Download|
3. Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra, who made her international TV debut with US show “Quantico”, has earned a nomination for People’s Choice Awards’ Favourite Actress In A New TV Series for the American thriller series.
4. India and Israel signed two agreements to enhance bilateral cooperation after the meeting of President Pranab Mukherjee, who was in Jerusalem on the final leg of his tri-nation tour to West Asia with his Israeli counterpart Reuven Rivlin. Agreements were signed on a cultural exchange programme for 2015-2018 and the amendment to the protocol on Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.
5. In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the United States government started its India roadshow series with an aim to attract Indian investors. This road show is being held in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata. ‘Select USA’ is the name of the programme of the US Department of Commerce through which the US Govt. seeks to highlight the many advantages the United States offers as a location for business and investment. The US delegation is being led by ‘Select USA’ Executive Director Vinai Thummalapally.
6. An Indian national, Kundhavi Kadiresan was appointed by FAO Director General José Graziano da Silva as the Assistant Director of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific. Kadiresan succeeded Hiroyuki Konuma.
7. The Navies of India, USA and Japan began the five-day Malabar exercise 2015 on the Eastern Coast in which several warships, aircraft carriers and fast attack submarine will be participating.
8. The union cabinet approved a memorandum of understanding signed between India and Mozambique in August this year to improve bilateral technical cooperation in the field of new and renewable energy. The MoU was inked to promote technical bilateral cooperation, investment promotion and partnership in the new and renewable energy sector.
9. The latest Global Wealth Report by Swiss bank Credit Suisse has disclosed that with 109 million middle class adults China has the world’s largest middle class population. It has replaced the United States, which has around 92 million of its populace under middle class. China now accounts for 5% of the world population, while holding nearly 10% of the global wealth.
10. Yes Bank, the fifth largest private bank in India, received the approval of the Reserve Bank of India to set up a mutual fund, asset management company (AMC) and a trustee company.
11. Indian Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi has been selected for the prestigious ‘Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award’. The annual award by the prestigious Harvard University is given to an individual whose works and deeds have served to improve the quality of lives and have inspired us to greater heights.
12. Micro-blogging site Twitter has appointed Omid Kordestani, former chief business officer at Google, as its executive chairman. Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s co-founder and newly appointed full-time CEO, announced Kordestani's appointment.