1. The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has identified two major initiatives towards better utilisation of blood and blood components, as part of its commitment to ensure safe blood and enhanced access to blood products, on the recommendation of the National Blood Transfusion Council. The first step is permitting the transfer of blood from one blood bank to another. This was not allowed earlier and will help in transfer of blood to places of scarcity.
2. The Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has launched a pilot project of a 'station-based e-catering' service allowing passengers to order meals as per their choice, which will be delivered at stations from popular private caterers. In the first phase of the project, all trains passing through 45 specified railway stations
3. The country's retirement system ranks last in the global pension index, says a study by global consulting major Mercer. Still, the National Pension System (NPS), which was launched by the government in June as part of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, will help the country improve its index, the study said. Denmark has been rated as the country with the best retirement system in the world.
4. India has been ranked among top 10 acquirers in the US market this year with 16 deals valued at $1.7 billion, says Baker & McKenzie. Majority of these deals were in the pharma sector , with six transactions totalling $1.5 billion, as companies seek to increase their scale in the US generics market, said a report by Baker & McKenzie.
|20 October 2015 Current Affair Updates |Daily GK Download|
5. All India Football Federation appointed former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia as the advisor for “overall issues of the game and the Federation”.
6. IT major Infosys announced the acquisition of Houston-based Noah Consulting for $70 million or Rs 450 crore in an all-cash deal.
7. Pat Woodell, who played Bobbi Jo on 1960s CBS sitcom “Petticoat Junction,” died in Fallbrook, Calif. She was 71.
8. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) opened its sub-office in Imphal in Manipur. Manipur chief minister, O Ibobi Singh and Harun R Khan, Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India inaugurated the Reserve Bank's sub-office in Imphal.
9. Pakistan is set to appoint a former army general as national security advisor, tightening the powerful military’s control over security policy and negotiations with India.
10. Congress leader Paras Ram Bhardwaj, who represented Sarangarh (Scheduled Castes) sans break from the seventh to the 12th Lok Sabha, passed away at his native village Kharoda in Janjgir-Champa District. He was 67.
11. Telugu cinema's noted comedian M S Narayana passed away. He was 63.