1. Global rating agency Fitch Ratings has lowered India's GDP growth estimate for the current fiscal 2015-16 to 7.5 per cent from 7.8 per cent.
2. India ranked 55th (India recorded a massive 16 spots jump as compared to the previous year) among 140 countries on the Global Competitiveness Index for 2015, which was released by Switzerland-based World Economic Forum (WEF). Switzerland tops the latest rankings.
3. Australia launched its one of two new satellites specifically designed for the country's National Broadband Network. The satellite "Sky Muster", was launched from French Guiana. It is one of the world's largest communication satellites and its purpose is to deliver broadband to Australia.
|4 October 2015 Current Affair Updates |Daily GK Download|
4. Indian pistol shooter Heena Sindhu won the gold medal in women's 10 meter air pistol event at the 8th Asian Air Gun Championships in New Delhi.
5. Kartik Chandran, an Indian-American associate professor of earth and environmental engineering at Columbia Engineering, has been named a 2015 MacArthur Fellow with a "genius grant" of $625,000. He won the fellowship for his work in transforming wastewater from a pollutant requiring disposal to a resource for useful products, such as commodity chemicals, energy sources, and fertilisers.
6. Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) has set up its first 10 MW solar power plant at a cost of Rs. 74.60 crore at Neyveli, Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu. This is the first Renewable Energy project commissioned by the company.
7. Union Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma launched the NOC Online Application Portal and Processing System (NOAPS) for the National Monument Authority (NMA), Ministry of Culture in New Delhi. It will make the approval procedure more efficient for construction related activities in regulated/restricted areas in the vicinity of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected monuments in different cities of India.
8. Popular Tamil actor Dhanush was named as the brand ambassador of Hero Indian Super League (ISL) Football Tournament Season 2 for Tamil Nadu.
9. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), the ambitious anti-offshore tax evasion and black money detection agreement between India and the United States became operational from 30 September 2015.
10. The International Court of Arbitration (ICA) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) asked ISRO’s commercial arm Antrix to pay $562.5 million in damages to Devas Multimedia Pvt. Ltd, a Bengaluru-based space technology firm.